visualdatatools.com Forum Index visualdatatools.com
Discussion for DataTank and DataGraph

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Multiple Y Axis without splitting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    visualdatatools.com Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDT

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Multiple Y Axis without splitting Reply with quote

Hello
I have a complex data series which is time dependent. Id like to show it all on a single chart with multiple axis, rather than splitting the Y axes as I think this makes it much easier to see events tied together in time. Is this possible. Im thinking something like having several Y axis out to the sides of the chart colour coded or similar.
David
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly clear on the graph, but to get full flexibility with the axis, use the Extra Axis command. That allows you to position the axis on the side, change the color, space them out, use different units etc. You can even hide the default axis tick marks and let the Extra Axis handle all of the labels.

David
JDT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,

Thanks for getting back to me - that seems to almost do what I need it to, but is it possible to scale the displayed data against the separate axis?

For example I have two temperature/time series which can easily be displayed on the same graph, but then also a pressure/time series from the same experiment. Temp runs 0-1600 say, and pressure runs 0-40. Not too sure if it's possible but I'd like one series (temp) to use an axis that runs 0-1700 and the pressure series to be displayed against a second Y axis on the same graph that runs 0-50 so both series can be seen together. Does that make sense? And if so, is it possible?
David
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can overlap the axis by selecting "Join Y". By default the second axis will be displayed on the right hand side.

The Extra Axis can also handle scaling. And a lot of standard units are defined, so you can specify the data and axis units separately. There is even a Temperature conversion option.

David
blakhani

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to follow up on this. I think I am trying to do something similar, but I can't get the data in my second plot to scale to the new axis. It only scales to the original axis. I can change the range of values in my additional Y-axis, but how do I actually assign a plot to that axis?
David
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the top right corner of each command is a small selector to pick which axis the command belongs to. So on one of the commands the lower part should be dark, the other one the upper should be dark. Just click in the graph portion that you want.

David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    visualdatatools.com Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 3 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: