visualdatatools.com Forum Index visualdatatools.com
Discussion for DataTank and DataGraph

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

axis label cut-off

Post new topic   Reply to topic    visualdatatools.com Forum Index -> Bug Report
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonathan Newman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: axis label cut-off Reply with quote

Hi folks, I'm trying to use the following as an axis label:

\hat{\phi}*

Datagraph seems fine putting hats on the x-axis label, but on the graphs that I am trying to make, they get "cut-off" when put on the y-axis. I.e., I can see the hat, but the point of the hat is cut off.

I can't figure out how to embed an image on this discussion board, so he's a link to an example:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/41d4pu7duz623n9/fig7d.png?dl=0

It seems to be caused by using the Times font (i.e. I can get it to look fine using, for example, Helvetica). Unfortunately, I need the Times font because it matches the font in the Latex template for the journal to which I am submitting.

Thanks in advance.
Pamela

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you mean. Here are two suggestions:

1 - In the style settings, change main from "Common font" to "Latex". This does a better job at understanding the sizing of the latex symbols and does not cut it off. I did notice though that the symbol is slightly different so I would be curious if this is OK.

2 - You can manually add more space by increasing the margin on the left in the Canvas settings. Change this from the automatic setting to say "70", and that would probably be enough. Note -- these values are in pixels when not using is specified. You can also set it to "4cm" if you know exactly what you wanted the margin in your manuscript.
Jonathan Newman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pamela,

Thanks for your response. Yes, the other problem with switching font faces if that there are two different ways to write \phi, and the graph axis needs to match what is in the text. But your suggestion about changing the margin worked a treat! Thanks so much.

Kind regards,
Jonathan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    visualdatatools.com Forum Index -> Bug Report All times are GMT - 3 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: