visualdatatools.com Forum Index visualdatatools.com
Discussion for DataTank and DataGraph

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Checking for New Versions / Crashing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    visualdatatools.com Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rdr

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Checking for New Versions / Crashing Reply with quote

Hi, folks. I'm sort of new here but loving my explorations with DataGraph.

Nowhere in the app or on the website do I see an way to check if a new version is available. Will the app remind me when it's time to update? I don't want to miss anything.

What got me thinking about this was an erratic problem I've had on macOS 10.12.4. Every now and again I can't quit DataGraph. It just won't die. It appears in the dock, but not in the Activity Monitor. Attempting a Force Quit through the Finder does nothing. Even rebooting is cancelled by the system because DataGraph can't be shut down. All that works in a full power down.

It's not a huge problem as it has happened very infrequently, but it what got me down the path of researching any new minor version releases.

Appreciate any insights on one or both of these queries. Thanks!

-- Robert
David
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DataGraph checks my server to see if there is a new version.

Which version are you using? Try using the latest beta

https://www.visualdatatools.com/DataGraph/DataGraphBeta.dmg

The beta is updated frequently and tells you what has changed between your version and the latest beta.

If/when this happens, right click (control click) on the icon in the dock and then hold down the option key to select a force quit. I think it will leave a stack trace in the Console about where it stopped. Please e-mail that to me (david@visual...) That shows me where the program hangs.

These type of problems (not being able to force quit normally) don't happen often on OS X, but when they do it is typically because of a network problem, mounted volume not responding, or a hardware problem.

David
rdr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks as always, David, for the quick reply. I'm at version 4.2.1. I'll do as you say and be back in touch should it happen again.

-- Robert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    visualdatatools.com Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 3 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: