visualdatatools.com Forum Index visualdatatools.com
Discussion for DataTank and DataGraph

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Double x-axis, one reversed linear, one log?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    visualdatatools.com Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandrift

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:56 pm    Post subject: Double x-axis, one reversed linear, one log? Reply with quote

I just downloaded DataGraph today to see if it can do a few key things my current program cannot. One was offsetting of line plots by a constant value - check!

The other is having a line plot with two x-axes (x1 and x2), where x1 is linear and needs to be plotted in reverse, and x2 = 10000/x1, which, to align with x1 should be logarithmic and plotted normally. Practically speaking, x1 is units of wavenumber (cm^-1) and x2 is units of microns (these are plots of infrared spectra). I haven't been able to successfully use the conversion feature in the extra x-axis command, but maybe I'm missing something there. I poked around in the forums and saw a similar, but not the same, question with replies that seemed to invoke a split axis, but I couldn't quite figure that out either. I'm hoping someone can tell me how to make this work (or if I can't).

An example of what I want is shown here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jugcseiebotefu6/Quartz_equivalence_20170220.pdf?dl=0

(Note that the upper x-axis tick marks are not logarithmic, because the plotting program can't do what I'm after - I had to add the numeric values at the top by hand as text boxes.)

Thanks in advance.
Pamela

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have a solution. Here is the graph I created that has the right tick marks for the numbers across the top.
https://www.visualdatatools.com/Cloud/fetch/123_g6j3o2795souv2.svg

To create this I used a numeric column of wavelengths that I converted to the wavenumber. I added an extra axis command and set the Tick marks (at the bottom of the detail view) to "Labels". The Locations are the set to the numeric wavenumber column (to give the tick marks) and the labels are set to a text column where you can specify just the tick marks that you want to label. If you don't have a label you just get the minor tick mark.

Here is a link to the DataGraph file...
https://www.visualdatatools.com/phpFiles/ReciprocalAxis.dgraph.zip

Hope this helps!
Pamela
sandrift

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pamela,

This looks great - I'm going to have to study this file a bit to make sure I
understand how it works, but I'm very happy to see there's a way to
accomplish what I'm after.

Thank you very much for taking the time to work this out!

Vicky
Post new topic   Reply to topic    visualdatatools.com Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 3 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: