visualdatatools.com Forum Index visualdatatools.com
Discussion for DataTank and DataGraph

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Latest beta (5/7/2014) has problem reopening files

Post new topic   Reply to topic    visualdatatools.com Forum Index -> Bug Report
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott Snyder

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Latest beta (5/7/2014) has problem reopening files Reply with quote

David,

Just updated to the latest beta, and when it tried to reopen the 20 or so files I have in my environment it just froze and I had to force quit DataGraph.

I have not tried without opening them as I want this list of files to reopen every time I (re)start DataGraph.

Going back to a mid March beta worked correctly.

Scott
David
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jikes. When you force quit, you should get a stack trace that you can send. Can you include that in an e-mail? That should show what part is hanging/spinning forever.

David
Scott Snyder

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the stack trace in the file system somewhere or do I need to recreate?

Scott
Scott Snyder

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it and sent the stack trace.

Scott
David
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should work in the latest beta.

The issue seems to be that since you had about 25 files with about 4 graphs per file, DG needed to compute 100 thumbnails. I'm moving the thumbnail creation into secondary threads to make the UI more responsive. I didn't have a bound on how many threads could be created. It only starts the computation for thumbnails that you can see but since you can always see around 5 thumbnails that meant that all were computed at the same time.

The current beta sets a cap on the thread that increases with the number of processors you have. That should avoid the internal lock which seemed based on the stack trace to be an internal overflow in Core Graphics.

So your files should open quicker now.

I'm also working on speeding DG when dealing with large DG files. Either because you have a lot of data or a lot of commands/graphs. If you (or anyone) has a file that is sluggish let me know. There isn't really an upper bound to anything, but my rule of thumb is that things should be responsive up to a few million rows (anything below 10 million should be snappy), about 1000 columns, about 100 graphs and a couple of hundred commands in each graph. And this is in each DataGraph file. You should then be able to have a lot of files of this size. There are certainly combinations and actions that haven't been optimized yet, and have to be brought to my attention.

David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    visualdatatools.com Forum Index -> Bug Report All times are GMT - 3 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: