visualdatatools.com Forum Index visualdatatools.com
Discussion for DataTank and DataGraph

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Data limits are not reset when importing data into Bar graph

Post new topic   Reply to topic    visualdatatools.com Forum Index -> Bug Report
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott Snyder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Data limits are not reset when importing data into Bar graph Reply with quote

David,

I have a standard bar graph that i am using as a template, and when I need to plot new data I select the existing columns and perform a Data -> Import file…
which replaces the old data with new.

The data plots correctly but the min and max limits for the plot area still retain the min and max from data that was previously there. So in order to get the plot to look correct I have to manually set x and y data ranges instead of using -inf, +inf which give me the min and max of the OLD data.

Is this method of data import the optimal way to get new data into a template? Not sure if there is a data import option that I am missing, but this definitely happens with bar graphs.

— Scott
David
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is odd. Can you send me a DG file and a sample file to import?

David
David
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to replicate this. Do you have error bars? Mask? Log axis? Stacked or side by side?

I do a lot of caching and each column keeps track of changes. That means that evaluation is incremental and minimal. This does however increase the chance that I forget to clear cached values when needed and use the old one. That will definitely depend on the configuration. The way you can tell that this is the issue is by changing a single entry in a column, or deselect and then reselect a column in a menu (select nothing and then do an undo).

But if this happens anywhere I definitely want to know about it. If you can send me a file that replicate this, I will be able to solve it very quickly, but even just a screen shot of what type of setup the Bar command had.

Are you using the beta or the 3.1.1 release?

David
Scott Snyder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Column that did not get updated caused the problem Reply with quote

Looks like it was not a bug, one of the columns that did not get updated was being used in the plot, (which was not immediately obvious to me). So the limits were reflecting this other column which was not visible in the default view of the data.

Basically I was trying to generate a waterfall bar graph, and to do so I used a stacked bar graph and made the initial set of bars invisible.

It were these non visible bars (the data for which was not immediately visible) that tripped me up.

Sorry for the false report,

Scott
Post new topic   Reply to topic    visualdatatools.com Forum Index -> Bug Report All times are GMT - 3 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: