visualdatatools.com Forum Index visualdatatools.com
Discussion for DataTank and DataGraph

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

custom string tick labels / categories

Post new topic   Reply to topic    visualdatatools.com Forum Index -> Feature Request
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stschiff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: custom string tick labels / categories Reply with quote

Hi,

is it possible to make categorical axes in DataTank, with custom string values as tick marks, similar to DataGraph? What I have in mind is data in the form of a matrix, with rows and columns denoted by names. I would like to be able to plot a colormesh with strings as the axes tick labels instead of numbers… this would be useful to plot a heat map indicating e.g. correlations between items with names rather than ordered numbers.

I guess the easiest way to achieve that is to allow the axes drawing command to take a list of strings as input.

Stephan
David
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you e-mail me an example? Just to give me a better idea.

What I will likely do is to make it easy to send data from DataTank to DataGraph. That way I don't have to move everything over. DataGraph has a lot more control over the look of the graph, and moving all of that over would be a lot of work. DataTank is pretty good at driving other programs, and DataGraph has streaming support already (dgraphconnect uses that)

DataGraph right now has a pretty primitive scalar field (2D Mesh) support, but a lot of that has to do with the fact that I haven't figured out how to input the objects. I currently have a way to input uniformly spaced meshes, but DataTank has unstructured, logically rectangular and uniform.

David
Adam Maxwell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I could use this for 1-D and 2-D plots, especially to be able to add date/time strings on an axis. For ocean models, we have a date as some time since a reference date, but a time axis of e.g. 0-50,000 minutes is just confusing to people.

I expect the margins would be tricky to get right, though, and there'd have to be some way of mapping strings to discrete axis values and sparsifying them appropriately.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    visualdatatools.com Forum Index -> Feature Request All times are GMT - 3 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: