visualdatatools.com Forum Index visualdatatools.com
Discussion for DataTank and DataGraph

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3D Rendered Space: Scaling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    visualdatatools.com Forum Index -> Feature Request
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Brain

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: 3D Rendered Space: Scaling Reply with quote

I may be missing something, but in my 3D rendered space, for the Scaling item:

I see 3 textfields. One next to the overall heading "Scaling", one next to parameter "Y Scale", and one next to parameter "Z Scale".

The "Scaling" textfield seems to correspond to the "Z Scale", and I can't seem to find an "X Scale". I may be misunderstanding something, but if I want to enlarge my 3D rendering by a factor of three and I enter 3 in all boxes, my rendering is distorted as the X is too skinny.

Also, I would have assumed that the overall textfield next to Scaling would correspond to editing all axes, instead of just the Z.

I realize that this is a finished (and award winning) program, as opposed to DataGraph which is still rolling out with frequent updates & improvements. So if there are no plans for bug fixes or etc, I will happily cut the verbosity in favor of quick Q&A.

In any case, I look forward to learning to use DataTank.

Cheers,
-JB

I didn't want to post this under Bug Report, as I am not yet very familiar at all w/ the software so it could very well be a misunderstanding on my part.
David
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DataTank is also under constant development. Updates have not been as frequent since last September, when I started DataGraph, but they will speed up. I will start using the same update mechanism in DataTank as I use in DataGraph.

Regarding the scale, the y and z scales are relative to the x scale. If you want to scale everything in/out, you drag the mouse while holding down the shift key. If you open up the camera view, you will see that this is changing the angle. By default the camera is set such that 20 degree angle will fit the bounding box independent of viewing direction. This is often too pessimistic, specially for a given viewing direction.

The scale is typically used only in the z direction, for example if x,y are latitude/longitude and z is the height. Because these are different units, you need to scale the z angle differently. You could remap the objects that go into the drawing such as point collections etc, but this is a quicker way.

David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    visualdatatools.com Forum Index -> Feature Request All times are GMT - 3 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: