visualdatatools.com Forum Index visualdatatools.com
Discussion for DataTank and DataGraph

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fitting a histogram

Post new topic   Reply to topic    visualdatatools.com Forum Index -> Request Fit Function
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ijstokes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Fitting a histogram Reply with quote

I have a histogram and I want to fit a curve to it. I imagine this is possible, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to do this.
grumpy_labrat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you post an image so we can see what you are trying to fit?
ijstokes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an example:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1561496/histogram-fit.png

For this one, obviously the fitted curve should be a gaussian. For other curves, I want poisson distributions, or exponential decays, etc., to fit a histogram of a sampled population.

The short story is that I'd want the curves to be fit to the bin heights, with some scaling for bin size and number of samples.

Ian
grumpy_labrat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K, this is going to be a bit ugly, but as near as I can tell there isn't any "easy" way to this. (David can correct me later if there is something I missing).

You'll need to look up the functions for the distribution that you are interested in fitting, but the problem here is that the histogram takes 1D data and assigns a second dimension (bins) based on the statistical analysis. The histogram function has a little gear button next to the statistics window that gives you access to the the data set for the histogram (i.e. your data sorted into bins). To get the data do the following:

1. Click the gear button, select "copy histogram information to columns."
2. cmd-d to pull up the definitions menu.
3. cmd-v to paste two new columns with the names "location" and "value."

These new columns are your x and y (respectively) for the histogram. They should be centered on the center of the top edge each bin of the histogram. Next it would just be a matter of fitting this data set to your desired distribution via a "fit" module set to arbitrary function mode, and using your desired distribution. Formula for most of the common ones can be found on Wikipedia.

Hope that helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    visualdatatools.com Forum Index -> Request Fit Function All times are GMT - 3 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: