visualdatatools.com Forum Index visualdatatools.com
Discussion for DataTank and DataGraph

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

creating 3D Surface Coordinates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    visualdatatools.com Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adam

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: creating 3D Surface Coordinates Reply with quote

Is it possible to create a 3D Surface Coordinates object from a 3D Surface? I'd like to create a 3D Surface Texture by mapping an aerial image to an elevation dataset, which is a triangular mesh/3D Surface. I've been looking at DTSource, but I'm confused about the purpose of the u/v vectors.

My current workaround is to create a 3D Surface Values with one channel of the bitmap, but that limits me to grayscale and is kind of clunky due to some reinterpolation.
David
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean you want to take a surface and map (x,y,z) into something like (x,y). That is (u,v) = (x,y). This would then assume you have a bitmap that will contain the (u,v) locations. Note that (u,v) are coordinates in 2D. I'm not mapping this on [0,1]x[0,1].

So for example the code will define the 2D coordinates on the surface to be (x,y):
Code:
DTSurfaceCoordinates3D Computation(DTSurface3D surf)
{
    DTFloatArray points = surf.Points();
    int howMany = points.n();
    int i;
    DTMutableFloatArray U(howMany);
    DTMutableFloatArray V(howMany);
    for (i=0;i<howMany;i++) {
        U(i) = points(0,i);
        V(i) = points(1,i);
    }

return DTSurfaceCoordinates3D(surf,U,V);
}

If you have a 300x300 bitmap with dx=dy=1, you need the x-y range of the surface to be inside the box [0,300]x[0,300], for example hand in a sphere with radius 120 and center (150,150,0). Then attach the grid and bitmap using the "Coordinates and Bitmap" module inside a "3D Surface Texture" variable.

David
Adam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
You mean you want to take a surface and map (x,y,z) into something like (x,y).

I'm glad you figured out what I meant Smile. Yes, that works perfectly, and is just what I was looking for. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    visualdatatools.com Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 3 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: