visualdatatools.com Forum Index visualdatatools.com
Discussion for DataTank and DataGraph

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions about 2D Plots and 2D rendered surfaces

Post new topic   Reply to topic    visualdatatools.com Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grumpy_labrat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Questions about 2D Plots and 2D rendered surfaces Reply with quote

I have a slice from a 2D mesh, and I would like to place a marker as to where I am taking the slice from on the 2D plots. I have seen the demo on the site about doing this in 3D, is there a way to do it in 2D? Specifically I would like to map the 1D slice to a line in the 2D space plot and a plane (similar to the example videos).

I've also been wondering if there is a way to back fill or mask the edges of a surface plot so that they look solid. i.e. fill from the actual data to the (x,y) plane at the minimum value of z.

Thanks!
Adam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Questions about 2D Plots and 2D rendered surfaces Reply with quote

I'm not sure what sort of line you're using to slice, but I put a sample script with a couple of techniques I've used (2D axis and path) here: http://files.me.com/amaxwell/6le1zh. Hope it helps!

As far as I know there's no way to extend the edges of a surface to look solid, so I'll be interested to hear David's answer to that one.
grumpy_labrat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually figured out the first part. I haven't checked your example yet, but here is how I did mine:
1. created a Mesh-Slice Slider variable (1-D Plot module).
2. extracted the starting point, ending point, and slice value from the slider.
3. generated two lists (2D data points really...) using the values from 2 to define the 2D positions of a lines start and end point.
4. generated an array from the two lists using "combine rows or columns" array type.
5. generated a 2D path using the array as a point array.
6. dragged 5 into my 2D mesh canvas space. (That gives me the line I wanted...)
7. created a path plane in my 2D rendered mesh then tied it to my path from 5. (this gives me my 3D plane I was after...)
8. chill and serve...
9. note awestruck stares from colleagues...
10. revel the awesomeness that is DT...

Steps 8-10 are, of course optional, but highly recommended... Rolling Eyes
Adam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that'll work. There are a lot of different ways to do things in DT, and even after using it for 5+ years, I'm still discovering features I hadn't used before.

In my script, I used a 2D Coordinate Line variable with Sliders Inside Region, which can be used to slice your 2D Mesh and display as a 1-D plot. That line also can be displayed directly in a 2D plot or 2D space as line or plane, respectively, and you still get to adjust it with sliders. For extra fun, create a 3D Coordinate Plane with Embed 2D Coordinate Line and display in 3D space.

Things get a bit more tricky when you're slicing with an arbitrary path, instead of a coordinate line, so I showed that in my script as well. Sometimes you can use Path Values more conveniently.

Steps 8-10 are pretty common, in my experience Smile.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    visualdatatools.com Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 3 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: