visualdatatools.com Forum Index visualdatatools.com
Discussion for DataTank and DataGraph

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

interaction with DataPlot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    visualdatatools.com Forum Index -> Feature Request
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adam

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: interaction with DataPlot Reply with quote

This is me being lazy, but I'd really like to have a module with something like "Send to DataPlot" on the 1D plot type (and possibly a few others; 2D Point Collection, at least).

My reasoning is twofold:

1) it's easier to tweak 1D plots in DataPlot than in DataTank
2) DataPlot displays date/time, and DataTank doesn't

Drag-and-drop of 1D plots to DataPlot would be really cool as well. I tend to sample point values on 2D meshes quite frequently, and end up with value vs. time, where time is the index in my data files. That's fine for me, but confusing for others to see.
David
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested in doing this, and move functionality from DataPlot to DataTank, the same way as I am moving functionality into DataPlot (I am implementing the magnifying glass).

I should for example add into the "Output" variable methods to prepare something to be copied and handed over to DataPlot. I could also make it so that you specify more information about columns etc, and then DataTank creates a DataPlot script, and populates it with the content.

One concreate idea is:
Create a DataPlot script, with columns set up just the way you like them and drawing commands.
Create a "Output->DataPlot script" module
Select the DataPlot script
Drag in the variables you want to add, a plot adds two columns (with empty lines if you have multiple plots), a 2D Point Collection adds two columns, a list of strings a single columns, a list of numbers a single column, an array as many columns as it has etc.
Then you click "Create"

DataTank would then create a text representation of everything, populate the columns (un-changed column names, possibly additional columns or empty columns), and open the script as an untitled document.
Only the current time value would be used.

David
Adam

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this idea, and I think it would take care of my immediate problems nicely!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    visualdatatools.com Forum Index -> Feature Request All times are GMT - 3 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: