visualdatatools.com Forum Index visualdatatools.com
Discussion for DataTank and DataGraph

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using Variables in the Time Sequence Module

Post new topic   Reply to topic    visualdatatools.com Forum Index -> Feature Request
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stschiff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Using Variables in the Time Sequence Module Reply with quote

Hi,

In the Real Number::Time Sequence module, there is no way of making the upper bound of the sequence dependent on another parameter. In my use-case however I can load different datafiles with different simulation parameters. These in turn determine how long the time-sequence should be.

So I could really use an "add:" functionality in the "Time Sequence" module like it exists in most other modules as well.

Stephan
David
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a limitation and is due to how time values are handled.
I uploaded a new beta and there you can go to the online help and see a better description at

Structure->Time dependence->Important

which is a full description of why this is not possible.

The short version is that time dependence is computed in the main thread and data in secondary threads. That means that time dependence needs to have a bound on how much work is involved and can not change as you change the time slider. If time dependence can depend on time strange things can happen and I will not be able to cache as much.

David
stschiff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah OK.
I already thought that there is a reason for that. But I anyway must say that part of my problem was caused from a not so smart usage of the time property. I have now a better way of using time-dependence which is more consistent and more transparent. Thanks anyway.

Stephan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    visualdatatools.com Forum Index -> Feature Request All times are GMT - 3 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: