visualdatatools.com Forum Index visualdatatools.com
Discussion for DataTank and DataGraph

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Labels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    visualdatatools.com Forum Index -> DataGraph Framework
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Brain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:24 am    Post subject: Labels Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm trying to write a label along with my Lines commands. The issue I'm having is that when I use the labeling provided with a Line Command, there are many overlapping labels along the bottom axis when I'm zoomed out.

I figured that using a Label Command instead would do the trick as it has 90 alignment. However, I've decided against it for reasons stated below.

So it seems to make more sense to use the Labeling that's already integrated with the Lines Command, but to beg you to add an option for Rotation as in the Label Command... and perhaps a % size option also Smile ... maybe a Background color too Very Happy

But in reality, I think a 90 option would increase functionality as the labels would then be going alongside or intersecting the line it was describing. I would make the case that the most functional label for a Line Command would be to have the label Overlap and Replace the line itself a certain distance up from one edge of the line.

e.g. A Y Line would look like: |----Label-------------|
And an X Line would look the same but rotated 90.
(Of course, this is assuming that the user selects Lower for the Position)

Thoughts & suggestions are much appreciated,
-JB

Explanation for Why I don't use a Label Command instead wrote:

It seems possibly overkill to create a new command for each label, when I have redundant labels. e.g. if I have a label that says "False Positive", it seems odd to create a command for each false positive that I find, when it's just the same label at certain points listed in a column.

Also, the Label Command does not have the Lines Command's very convenient positon Lower/Upper option. I suppose I could check the Y-range of my graph & set the label close to this value; however there is a problem:

I would assume (without updating the position of every Label Command) if I added a new command that expanded the range of the Y-axis, the positions would no longer be on the edge of the axis. This of course also includes Label Commands, and the Labels will expand the range of the Y-axis when close to the border.

I could use the "From Start" option. The Label Command's arrow/line pointing to the start is meaningless in this specific case as I'm trying to label a vertical line that goes through the entire range of the graph. I can remove the arrow, but not the line. Also, I cannot ensure that the label will stay close to the Y-axis border using this method, as a resize of the window will change its relative position.
sussillo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've noticed this problem with the labels as well.
-David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    visualdatatools.com Forum Index -> DataGraph Framework All times are GMT - 3 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: