live in the beta
Download the beta
Join the many users that live in the Beta.
The Beta version is where we try out improvements
and additions to the program,
many of which are suggested by users,
either on the
or contacting us through the Help menu.
Now that 4.3 is out (January 20, 2018), the beta resets. There are features that are hidden in the release version but are visible in the beta so they can be tested and refined.
Live on the edge, follow the beta. It is fairly stable, but transient problems do pop up. They are quickly dealt with and the beta is sometimes updated several times a day. If you are running the beta you will be notified if a new version is available.
Existing Features in the Beta
- Data File mechanism.
Can create this using R (still in early testing, contact me to get the R package)
or using the Special Import and the new Save button.
The Data File is created through the Other option and is a group.
- R package (with source) to write data files is under testing,
let me know if you are interested in C++ source code to write data files
and if there is interest in a python library.
Working on making it easy to get data into DataGraph from various programming environments.
- Units conversions for the standard numerical column type.
Create them through the gear menu.
See the bulletin board.
- A preference option so that you can set when the Points command switches to a pixel approach.
The default is 200,000 but you can raise it if you want to get more points drawn with the selected marker.
- Scalar Field command - recently added an option to draw logically rectangular meshes.
This means you can specify the x and y coordinates of the mesh as arrays and not just lists.
- Column - Number From String - Looking for a good use case
- Freehand command
- Database connectivity
Beta Release Notes
- 1/20: Released 4.3, reset the beta.
- 2/05: Fixed an issue with the Bar command when you used 'Stairs' on a logarithmic axis.
- 2/09: Fixed a run time exception - See the bulletin board.
- 2/14 : Added an extra option to the Expression global variable to extract a single row entry from a column.
Already exists in the “From Column” option, but this is more direct.
- 3/8 : The Connect command now allows you to vary the line width based on a column.
- 3/8 : Fixed an issue with the mask when you used an expression (logical).
- 3/9 : Fixed some issues with the new variable width in the Connect command.
- 3/11 : Added a minor gridline option.
- 3/15 : Can drag a text file onto a group to import the data.
- 3/15 : The Points command has a new “Click” option to funnel mouse clicks in the graphic to a global variable.
- 3/18 : Working on making the “Click” option more common.
There is now a standard icon for it, close to the magnification setting at the top of the command detail.
The Points command now uses that to adjust the click notification.
- 3/18 : Added a click action for the Bars command.
- 3/18 : Added a click action for the Pivot command.
- 3/18 : Added a click action for the Pie command.
- 3/22 : Added a click action for the Graphic command.
- 3/25 : The Connect command can now use a color ramp to vary the line color.
Before it could only use a color scheme.
- 3/25 : The Range command now also accepts a color ramp and not just a color scheme.
- 3/27 : Added the animation parameter back into the token menu.
Vanished in 4.3, but existing connections were not affected. Now you can select it again.
- 4/8 : Fixed an issue with the Pivot command when you extracted a second value column
and then switched to a calculation that didn’t have a second value column.
- 4/15 : Addressed partially an issue with the fill option for a plot when you bridge data points.
- 4/15 : Added more click actions to the Pivot command.
Can now overwrite variables with the row/column number and not just the label.
- 4/17 : Fixed an issue with the axis setting when you specified the space for x/y and used units such as in or cm for the spacing.
- 4/19 : Added \AA to do Angstrom. The command \angstrom was there before.
- 4/23 : Fixed an issue with the special importer.
The functionality where you could tie a converter to a specific file ending didn’t work properly.
- 5/2 : Added ≠ as a valid operator in expressions.
- 5/9 : Fixed issues with labels for the Lines command.
- 5/17 : Fixed an issue with the minor grid lines.
- 5/19 : Added an option to Number from Text Column -
See the bulletin board.
- 6/6 : Added an option to specify the point type in the Points option for the Box command.